Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shift of focus

I finally finished blogging about my 2 month adventure in Europe last summer, and now its almost time for me to start a different adventure. Although I am returning to Europe, I am going for completely different reasons and a very different focus.

Since I was very young, my faith has been an integral part of my life. As one grows and matures, it is natural to test the beliefs and principles taught in childhood. The ancient prophet Alma urges us all to "experiment upon [his] words" to find out for ourselves whether or not they are true. As I questioned various teachings and doctrines in my life, I chose to follow Alma's counsel and conduct an experiment by applying a principle in my life and evaluating the result. Through this process I have gained a deeper conviction of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This has led to a desire to share this message of peace and hope with others. So I submitted missionary application papers to Salt Lake City last November and a latter-day prophet, Thomas S. Monson, sent a letter back calling me to serve for 18 months as a full-time proselyting missionary the Germany Munich/ Austria Mission.


So what does this mean? On March 10th I will report to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah, where I will be taught and trained in the German language, as well as in methods of teaching the gospel. Around the middle of May I will fly to Munich, Germany, and from there be assigned another sister missionary to work with full-time in a particular area of my mission. I don't know much more than that so you'll have to check back and see!

I have been on an "email list" for multiple different friends of mine who have served missions, and I have been very grateful for the regular pick me up messages and their experiences have influenced my decision to serve a mission. So I asked my sister to update my blog while I was gone to hopefully provide this experience for some of you!

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: