Beware I am behind on this so I typed very fast, I hope it all makes sense!
The week started with getting up too early to finish my English reading before class. After the usual 4 hours of class (English and History) I collapsed for a nap then 4 of us headed to Westminster Abbey for an assignment (instead of going together they give us money and we can go whenever we want). The one thing I remember from when we went 7 years ago, when my family picked up Jennifer after doing the same thing as me this summer, was that we tried so hard to get it all into one picture, but Westminster Abbey is huge! So this is my attempt once again:
The week started with getting up too early to finish my English reading before class. After the usual 4 hours of class (English and History) I collapsed for a nap then 4 of us headed to Westminster Abbey for an assignment (instead of going together they give us money and we can go whenever we want). The one thing I remember from when we went 7 years ago, when my family picked up Jennifer after doing the same thing as me this summer, was that we tried so hard to get it all into one picture, but Westminster Abbey is huge! So this is my attempt once again:
Caitlin, Sarah and I
The audio guides are free, which is awesome, and we learned a lot about people who have been buried here. My favorite part was that on the tube ride getting here I read about Queen Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots, and then I saw their tombs and heard more about them from the audio guide. That was awesome. Another thing I remember learning last time I was here was that Charles Dickens and I share a birthday, so I kept my eye our for his tomb. Some of these are just memorials, not their actually tomb but I saw Handel, Chaucer, Darwin, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, and Clementi. The tour ends with the tomb to the unknown soldier.I took this very artistic picture as I descended down the steps into the tube station. I even got some prints of it and used it as a postcard to some friends!

Classic London picture (even with a raincoat)
This is my week for kitchen crew so I hurried back from Westminster to spend an hour beforehand and afterwards preparing and cleaning up dinner. I really enjoyed that this week actually. Its a great place to get to know the directors better, and meet some more girls in the program. Now this week I feel like I have so much extra time!
Sarah, Caitlin and I had been talking for awhile about getting front row tickets to Wicked (Sarah heard about this from the directors wives while she was doing kitchen duty during the first week). They said to be in line at the box office by about 7am and they release a certain number of front row tickets for 25 pounds! We woke up early, and even though I misdirected us to the wrong theatre (however we got the experience of riding the bus instead of the tube as a result!) we were first in line!!! See picture below:

When we first showed up we had no idea where to go so randomly sat on the steps. No one else was around and we were starting to wonder if we were mistaken. Someone showed up to sweep the steps around 8:45 and he showed us to stand on the far end and that the queue should be starting soon (meaning the line usually starts around then). Sure enough around 9 am people starting showing up and by 10 am they line went around the corner...and we were first!! So not only did we have front row tickets, but DEAD CENTER. We were pretty stoked. All day I waited in anticipation, through another 4.5 hours of class, kitchen crew and by the time we were waiting for the tube I ... well see for yourself:
...was very excited

It was amazing. I seriously felt like I was IN the show. It wasn't uncomfortable at all being in the front row. Sometimes the actors would sing right to you, and we were all wide-eyed leaning forward smiling!
The next day was our day trip to Cambridge. My good friend Marie (roommate winter semester) is at Cambridge for the summer through a program that brings students from top schools in the US to attend Cambridge during their holiday. There are about 20 students from BYU. I told her the day we would we coming and she offered to show us around. I wasn't sure how the situation would work out, but it was awesome!! The coach dropped us off, our directors gave us money for dinner (we pack lunches on Wednesday for our trips) and to see the Botanical Gardens, and a list of things to do then in Cambridge, then off we went. So me and about 5 other girls went in search of Marie. Luckily a couple girls I was with had cell phones because we were misdirected a few times and had to backtrack to finally find Marie. But once we did the rest of the day went better than I ever could have expected!
Cambridge University is a compilation of lots of different colleges. Marie is at Kings College, probably the most famous. Its a closed campus so she got us on, showed us her dorm, eating area, library, and college bar. For the dining hall and library just think Harry Potter. It was so cool to hear everything from Marie's perspective - she gave us so many insights on the tradition at Cambridge that has worked for 800 years so why not stick to it, even if it seems a bit odd. One funny thing, you are better off committing murder than walking on the grass unless you're a fellow (professor).
Marie and I with King's Chapel in the background

After showing us the local market, we met up with a couple of guys from her program who graciously took us punting (one of which is Clark Wilkes from our stake at home). They have access to some boats as students and its just 4 pounds for them to use one (in contrast to the 12 pounds outside the college). Although we didn't have professional guides, our guides were pretty dang good! And it was fun to get to try it ourselves. Basically punting is riding in a low small boat with a platform in the back where you stand and push off the bottom of the river with a pole.
Punting on the river Cam

Next we looked at Cambridge attire and I got some awesome sweat pants (I didn't bring any with me so they have been nice to have). We got separated from the other 4 girls while shopping so Marie walked Sarah and I to the Botanical gardens. After being in Stourhead last week this just wasn't as aw-ing. We randomly found Becky and Christy again in the gardens and we took some fun pictures.
This is supposedly the tree Newton sat under when he contemplated the concept of gravity after the apple fell.
We stopped at a museum where I saw a few Monet, Degas and Picasso works. We met back up with Clark and had dinner at the pub, The Eagle. We sat 2 tables away from where Watson and Crick made their announcement that they had discovered DNA. The food was great.
Thursday marked the beginning of our free weekend. Throughout the day people left for Wales and Paris. I originally wanted to try and go to Ireland, but logistically it just didn't work out. So I slept in, worked on homework, then Sarah and I went shopping in Covent Gardens. We got a huge awesome cupcake. After dinner, some of the people who were still around went and played soccer in Hyde Park. We had a great time. One of my favorite people here is Nathan, the 11 year old son of one of our teachers. He sure held his own out on the field with 25 year old guys!
The next day most of the people went to Brighton for the day! According to Pride and Prejudice this is the "place to get husbands." We kept our eyes out for some good "officers" like Lydia from P&P but this is probably less likely now because this is now the Gay/Lesbian capital of the UK. We left the Center at 5:45am and rode through the beautiful countryside of England on a one hour train ride to the southern coast of England. We arrived at 7:45 and by 8 am we saw the English Channel! It was an exciting moment:
This picture describes what we did for the next 2 hours. We walked and took pictures. Poor Garrett was a good sport.
Me, Garrett, Sarah, Rebecca
We met another group from the Center at the world's oldest aquarium where we saw lots of cool fish. I even fed a sea turtle along 3 other 7 year-olds.We then got Fish and Chips for lunch right on the beach by the Brighton Pier. Then we explored lots of beachside markets (more walking) then walked back to the pier. My feet were pretty dead. By the time we got to the pier I had my eye on the big tall yellow ride that swung you over the ocean.
Sarah, me, Kaitlin, Tricia, and Rebecca

Tricia and I were the only ones brave enough to do the ride and it was just what I needed. I was laughing the whole time as we swung upside down and around and around over the ocean. We also got a great view of Brighton. The girls we were with were really interested in shopping more so after searching for a flea market that really wasn't that exciting, Sarah, Garrett and I looked at the clock and it was only 4 pm. Our train didn't leave until 8:20... hmm so what's the natural solution. Movie theater of course! Haha by the time we found the movie theater again it was just in time for the 5 pm showing of Transformers 2. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but we were sitting on comfy seats, in a dark room, and being entertained. We got out at 7:40 and since we were worried about catching our train, but we were starving, we resorted to Subway for dinner. I vowed to myself to not go to Subway while I was here, but it was definitely the cheapest meal I've had here, and tastes exactly like it does at home (except they offered different veggies..first time I've had corn on a sandwich). We made it back and then I was crazy enough to go running with Garrett. We hopped the fence into Kensington Gardens to run which was exciting, but then we couldn't get back in so the run got a little long since we had to go all the way around. But it was very freeing after a long day of standing and walking (Standing and walking cause much more damage to the soles of one's feet than running I've learned).
Saturday I mostly worked on my English paper but Sarah and I went ot the National Gallery for an assignment. This is us in Trafalgar Square (in the rain).
In Brighton Sarah, Garrett and I had a Mexican restaurant picked out for dinner but then ran out of time to go. So we found a good mexican place in London and went in search. After 2 switches on the tube and a few wrong turns we found - Benito's Mexican Kitchen. We discovered a keeper! We were all sooo excited to get a taste of something I thought was better than Cafe Rio!!!
After that I was able to meet with my Enlgish professor for a bit in his flat, which majorly saved my paper. I'm actually really proud of my analysis of the use of nature in 2 different poems.
Sunday morning was church. I left before the rest of my group to make sure I was on time to play the piano. I went most of the way with another group coincidently, but after they got off the train and I was on my own for the last switch and then a 15 minute walk, this is when it hits me that I'm LIVING here. Still have to remind myself of that sometimes. They didn't need me for prelude but I played for the rest of the meeting. Then for the last 2 hours I taught Senior primary their lesson and then ran Singing/sharing time (more like crown control and sing some primary songs). I really felt like I was able to use the tools I've practiced with nursing and coaching basketball in how to teach and control these kids. We had a good time I think, but I was exhausted. After a nap, talking to Mom and Dad and Michelle on Skype (they're about to leave for Prineville! Without me!) and dinner (my last night of kitchen crew) we had a fireside by a guy from the local stake came wgo talked to us about wartime London. Very fascinating to hear some of the random facts you don't get in history class. He spent many nights in the bomb shelter in their backyard as a kid where he emphasized how cold it was and there was not much light, and it was very LOUD so you didn't sleep much. He emphasized some families chose to just take the risk and stay in their homes, but either way, there were many sleepless nights.
This is my week for kitchen crew so I hurried back from Westminster to spend an hour beforehand and afterwards preparing and cleaning up dinner. I really enjoyed that this week actually. Its a great place to get to know the directors better, and meet some more girls in the program. Now this week I feel like I have so much extra time!Sarah, Caitlin and I had been talking for awhile about getting front row tickets to Wicked (Sarah heard about this from the directors wives while she was doing kitchen duty during the first week). They said to be in line at the box office by about 7am and they release a certain number of front row tickets for 25 pounds! We woke up early, and even though I misdirected us to the wrong theatre (however we got the experience of riding the bus instead of the tube as a result!) we were first in line!!! See picture below:

When we first showed up we had no idea where to go so randomly sat on the steps. No one else was around and we were starting to wonder if we were mistaken. Someone showed up to sweep the steps around 8:45 and he showed us to stand on the far end and that the queue should be starting soon (meaning the line usually starts around then). Sure enough around 9 am people starting showing up and by 10 am they line went around the corner...and we were first!! So not only did we have front row tickets, but DEAD CENTER. We were pretty stoked. All day I waited in anticipation, through another 4.5 hours of class, kitchen crew and by the time we were waiting for the tube I ... well see for yourself:
...was very excited

It was amazing. I seriously felt like I was IN the show. It wasn't uncomfortable at all being in the front row. Sometimes the actors would sing right to you, and we were all wide-eyed leaning forward smiling!
The next day was our day trip to Cambridge. My good friend Marie (roommate winter semester) is at Cambridge for the summer through a program that brings students from top schools in the US to attend Cambridge during their holiday. There are about 20 students from BYU. I told her the day we would we coming and she offered to show us around. I wasn't sure how the situation would work out, but it was awesome!! The coach dropped us off, our directors gave us money for dinner (we pack lunches on Wednesday for our trips) and to see the Botanical Gardens, and a list of things to do then in Cambridge, then off we went. So me and about 5 other girls went in search of Marie. Luckily a couple girls I was with had cell phones because we were misdirected a few times and had to backtrack to finally find Marie. But once we did the rest of the day went better than I ever could have expected!
Cambridge University is a compilation of lots of different colleges. Marie is at Kings College, probably the most famous. Its a closed campus so she got us on, showed us her dorm, eating area, library, and college bar. For the dining hall and library just think Harry Potter. It was so cool to hear everything from Marie's perspective - she gave us so many insights on the tradition at Cambridge that has worked for 800 years so why not stick to it, even if it seems a bit odd. One funny thing, you are better off committing murder than walking on the grass unless you're a fellow (professor).
Marie and I with King's Chapel in the background

After showing us the local market, we met up with a couple of guys from her program who graciously took us punting (one of which is Clark Wilkes from our stake at home). They have access to some boats as students and its just 4 pounds for them to use one (in contrast to the 12 pounds outside the college). Although we didn't have professional guides, our guides were pretty dang good! And it was fun to get to try it ourselves. Basically punting is riding in a low small boat with a platform in the back where you stand and push off the bottom of the river with a pole.
Punting on the river Cam

Next we looked at Cambridge attire and I got some awesome sweat pants (I didn't bring any with me so they have been nice to have). We got separated from the other 4 girls while shopping so Marie walked Sarah and I to the Botanical gardens. After being in Stourhead last week this just wasn't as aw-ing. We randomly found Becky and Christy again in the gardens and we took some fun pictures.

This is supposedly the tree Newton sat under when he contemplated the concept of gravity after the apple fell.

We stopped at a museum where I saw a few Monet, Degas and Picasso works. We met back up with Clark and had dinner at the pub, The Eagle. We sat 2 tables away from where Watson and Crick made their announcement that they had discovered DNA. The food was great.
Thursday marked the beginning of our free weekend. Throughout the day people left for Wales and Paris. I originally wanted to try and go to Ireland, but logistically it just didn't work out. So I slept in, worked on homework, then Sarah and I went shopping in Covent Gardens. We got a huge awesome cupcake. After dinner, some of the people who were still around went and played soccer in Hyde Park. We had a great time. One of my favorite people here is Nathan, the 11 year old son of one of our teachers. He sure held his own out on the field with 25 year old guys!

The next day most of the people went to Brighton for the day! According to Pride and Prejudice this is the "place to get husbands." We kept our eyes out for some good "officers" like Lydia from P&P but this is probably less likely now because this is now the Gay/Lesbian capital of the UK. We left the Center at 5:45am and rode through the beautiful countryside of England on a one hour train ride to the southern coast of England. We arrived at 7:45 and by 8 am we saw the English Channel! It was an exciting moment:

This picture describes what we did for the next 2 hours. We walked and took pictures. Poor Garrett was a good sport.

Me, Garrett, Sarah, Rebecca

We met another group from the Center at the world's oldest aquarium where we saw lots of cool fish. I even fed a sea turtle along 3 other 7 year-olds.We then got Fish and Chips for lunch right on the beach by the Brighton Pier. Then we explored lots of beachside markets (more walking) then walked back to the pier. My feet were pretty dead. By the time we got to the pier I had my eye on the big tall yellow ride that swung you over the ocean.
Sarah, me, Kaitlin, Tricia, and Rebecca

Tricia and I were the only ones brave enough to do the ride and it was just what I needed. I was laughing the whole time as we swung upside down and around and around over the ocean. We also got a great view of Brighton. The girls we were with were really interested in shopping more so after searching for a flea market that really wasn't that exciting, Sarah, Garrett and I looked at the clock and it was only 4 pm. Our train didn't leave until 8:20... hmm so what's the natural solution. Movie theater of course! Haha by the time we found the movie theater again it was just in time for the 5 pm showing of Transformers 2. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but we were sitting on comfy seats, in a dark room, and being entertained. We got out at 7:40 and since we were worried about catching our train, but we were starving, we resorted to Subway for dinner. I vowed to myself to not go to Subway while I was here, but it was definitely the cheapest meal I've had here, and tastes exactly like it does at home (except they offered different veggies..first time I've had corn on a sandwich). We made it back and then I was crazy enough to go running with Garrett. We hopped the fence into Kensington Gardens to run which was exciting, but then we couldn't get back in so the run got a little long since we had to go all the way around. But it was very freeing after a long day of standing and walking (Standing and walking cause much more damage to the soles of one's feet than running I've learned).
Saturday I mostly worked on my English paper but Sarah and I went ot the National Gallery for an assignment. This is us in Trafalgar Square (in the rain).

In Brighton Sarah, Garrett and I had a Mexican restaurant picked out for dinner but then ran out of time to go. So we found a good mexican place in London and went in search. After 2 switches on the tube and a few wrong turns we found - Benito's Mexican Kitchen. We discovered a keeper! We were all sooo excited to get a taste of something I thought was better than Cafe Rio!!!
After that I was able to meet with my Enlgish professor for a bit in his flat, which majorly saved my paper. I'm actually really proud of my analysis of the use of nature in 2 different poems.
Sunday morning was church. I left before the rest of my group to make sure I was on time to play the piano. I went most of the way with another group coincidently, but after they got off the train and I was on my own for the last switch and then a 15 minute walk, this is when it hits me that I'm LIVING here. Still have to remind myself of that sometimes. They didn't need me for prelude but I played for the rest of the meeting. Then for the last 2 hours I taught Senior primary their lesson and then ran Singing/sharing time (more like crown control and sing some primary songs). I really felt like I was able to use the tools I've practiced with nursing and coaching basketball in how to teach and control these kids. We had a good time I think, but I was exhausted. After a nap, talking to Mom and Dad and Michelle on Skype (they're about to leave for Prineville! Without me!) and dinner (my last night of kitchen crew) we had a fireside by a guy from the local stake came wgo talked to us about wartime London. Very fascinating to hear some of the random facts you don't get in history class. He spent many nights in the bomb shelter in their backyard as a kid where he emphasized how cold it was and there was not much light, and it was very LOUD so you didn't sleep much. He emphasized some families chose to just take the risk and stay in their homes, but either way, there were many sleepless nights.
2 comments:
Wow! What I week! I love these weekly updates. What a cool way to see Cambridge. I went there on our "free" weekend when everyone else went out of town since we didn't go there as part of the program. Brighton looks like fun! I understand the part about your feet being dead. That's one thing I remember about London: lots of walking!! I remember when Dad and you showed up and we did a few things in the city, he kept asking if there was a way to take the tube where we were going instead of walking and I was like, "Well I guess so." I guess I was just used to it! I'm glad you're having such a great experience!
I can't believe how much you did in a week! Sounds like so much fun. Great updates!
Post a Comment