Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Week 2

Sunday (June 28) was our first day of church. We left plenty early, 30 min on the tube, 20 min on the train, and a 10 minute walk from there. A different group of 40 BYU kids show up at four different times a year and that would be pretty disruptive to the local ward. For this reason, and to give us the chance to serve, they split us up into groups of 5 or so and we go to wards in the surrounding area. Before I got here I specified that I was willing to travel far for church. Anyways we met with the Bishop before church and I also specified that I played the piano, which they definitely were excited about. So I play piano in Sacrament Meeting and Primary as an assignment, then they also called me as Senior Primary teacher. Its fun to have plenty to do all 3 hours! By the time I got home form church I literally crashed for a nap. Sarah and I then went on a walk and we took a picture in front of the Peter Pan statue. The statue sits across the river from the tent of the Petet Pan play that we would go to later in the week.


Monday after classes Sarah and I split a sandwich and fruit saled from Tesco and took it back to the Peter Pan statue to eat with another girl from the program. Then we continued on to the V&A museum to look at the Jewelry exhibit. After an early dinner, the whole program met at Shakespeares Globe for the play As You Like It. We left plenty early and took pictures on the Millenial Bridge:

Tower Bridge in the background
Serenading people with Clair de Lune on one of the many "Play me" pianos situated all around London for a Music Festival
Inside the Globe
(Ilarene, Elizabeth, Sarah, Katie)
St. Paul's Church in the background
(Me, Sarah, Becky, Megan, Kylee)
Tuesday morning is the one morning (other than Friday) that I don't have class in the morning. Its also laundry day for my dorm. So I woke up, had breakfast, started some laundry, and then Sarah and I went on a long run in Hyde Park. It was hot and sunny and I may have even gotten some sun. After some homework that afternoon, Sarah, Anna and I went to Leicester Square after dinner where a lot of discount ticket stands are (for theater shows). Many many people from the group have had success here getting tickets for plays a few days in advance, but I've been twice now and they've all told me that they only sell discounted tickets on the day of. I think its because we've gone in the evening both times instead of the afternoon. Anyways if anyone has better ideas let me know!
We were a little disappointed we didn't get tickets to anything (I'm dying to go to Les Miserables! We found out that ever since Susan Boyle sang I Dreamed a Dream on Britain's Got Talent, popularity skyrocketed!) but we bought scarves for our outing to Southall on Friday and explored Covent Gardens and scouted out good stores to go back to when they are actually open.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I only ever got cheap tickets the day of. We always went right after class (before lunch) and seemed to be successful. I would try going earlier in the day.

Just FYI, I had to pay full price for Phantom...never could get cheap seats. You could also try going to the box office of the theatre. For Mamma Mia we got cheap seats from the box office about a week in advance. They were on the third balcony and we could kind of see off stage, but they were only 7 pounds! :)