This picture is from the first evening when Becky, Christy and I went to Piccidily Circus and checked out stores

Our first day started with orientation at 9 am. We heard from different teachers and most importantly the Schuler's who is the couple that lives here. Brother Schuler teaches our one credit Culture and Community class that everyone has to take. Him and his wife talked about the logistics of living in this old building and other basic information about the city. Basically the UK doesn't use AC and they have a VERY complicated garbage system (which were held to a higher standard because 27 Palace Court is considered a business). They talked about embracing the lifestyle and trying to blend in rather than be rambucious Americans. After 2.5 hours or so we were done. Some people though this was a long time to sit in one place. Oh what endurence training I've had in nursing school....
They gave us an assignment to go to 2 specific rooms in the British Museum and write 6 things we learned (usually I'm not a big fan of busy work, but I don't mind it here at all). It was really nice to walk into a museum and know I can come back all I want and take my time in just 2 rooms.
We were all starving by the time we left and so we started walking around and navigating London is hard enough when you're new, let alone with like 12 people because everyone's too nervous to go off on their own in smaller groups. We finally found a little place with to-go sandwiches and 4 of us said adios to the group. I forgot to mention that as we walked out of the door that morning I started talking to a girl in my room named Sarah. I wanted to get to know her she seemed like someone I would get along with. We talked all the way to the museum and she was one of the 4 afterwards that decided to walk down Oxford Street. The other 2 were Christ and Becky (see the first picture on this post) who were definitely there to shop. When they hit the dressing rooms Sarah and I decided to leave and we spent the rest of the afternoon talking and walking! We timed ourselves, 30 seconds in Primark (reminds me of Forever 21 a bit) and we even took 2 pictures, see below:

We continued to Marble Arch

And then to Buckingham Palace


Guards at Buckingham Palace
That night we had our first Culture and Community Class (taught by Brother Schuler who is the resident manager here). He talked about culture shock. Not only the culture of the UK but being in a building of 40 people who can't really get away from. Its true that we are each here for different reasons. When I've traveled before its usually with family and we have a generally similar purpose. Anyways especially since I had a quick switch of go-go-go with Mom in Paris to more of an endurence approach since we're here for 2 months, I think I had a little bought of "culture shock." But as Brother Schuler said, as soon as you're aware of the "symptoms" and recognize its okay to feel that way it shouldn't effect you much. So after that I connected the dots of why I was feeling somewhat displaced here and have since had a pretty darn good time!
3 comments:
Looks like fun! Glad you found someone to sight-see with!
Oh hi! It's your #1 follower! I love looking at your pics... You are so cool! Hey p.s. that girl, Sarah I think, looks really familiar. Do you know if she lived in Holladay at all?
Yes she recognized you! She went to Olympus for her junior and senior year. Way to be dedicated Jenny dear!
Post a Comment